Wednesday 8 June 2011

First Impressions

Following on from my last essay on Baudrillard, hyperreality and Philip K Dick, I have a rough idea of what I want to do my essay on. Last year, my proposal was accepted, 

'to what extent are next-generation computer games real?'

Richard Miles' feedback outlined some more key sources to read concerning the impact of new technologies, the impact of said technologies based on textual experiences and to look at the emerging discipline of Game Studies, which will be vital as a methodological approach to my dissertation.
He mentioned that looking at a some case studies based on close readings of seminal computer games would help my essay from being too general.

So as a start, looking at some case studies concerning games, as well as starting some of the key texts highlighted by Richard.

I need to narrow down my essay title as well, but we will see as I go on what sort of things I will be studying in greater detail. At the moment possible titles are: 'Is the Fallout universe different from present day?' ' In the Fallout universe, how has the American dream survived for so long?' or 'To what extent does Fallout coincide with our reality?'
Obviously I will make sure I have a much more focussed title in a few weeks hopefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment